A- A A+
Marks Tey Winners

Roy Patten & John Waylett Meeting

Sunshine and perfect race conditions welcomed the eighty solo’s and eight outfits to this annual event at Marks Tey on Sunday. Club Chairman Dave Godley elected to complete some judicious watering the evening prior while those staying overnight witnessed an electrical storm of almost biblical proportions lighting the entire skyline for a good half hour or so.

Due to grading having taken place earlier in the week a course avoiding most of the worn sections resulted in the majority of it being covered in a thick layer of winter grass which assisted in the dissipation of much of the overnight rainfall. With several of the table tops left out there remained just three jumps and a ditch to negotiate alongside the usual lumps and bumps for which the circuit has in abundance. Unusually the start straight was set running parallel to the the pit lane and wove it’s way between tabletops to the far end of the circuit before returning through the ditch, taking a right hander onto a sweeping 180 degree 3rd gear left hander to a tight 90 degree right hander and over the finish line before a similar left hander saw riders back onto the start straight again.

Twenty eight races were scheduled giving all riders a minimum of four rides. With all marshal posts covered before technical inspection was completed practise was soon underway. The overnight rain caused few problems early on, just the odd rider overshooting bends rather than anyone coming to grief. But by the time racing was underway much of the wet had evaporated.
Events followed one another without incident until race 10 for the Roy Patten Trophy for Pre68 351cc and above machines over six laps. With a Hand on Helmet start Adrian Mays lead the field ahead of Dave Holt for the first three laps with Steve Farthing third. Come lap four Adrian Mays went missing leaving Dave Holt to the fore. By lap six however young Luke Barker had passed both Steve Farthing and Dave Holt to take a well earned win so placing a new name on the Trophy which Ena Patten duly presented during the interval.

Race thirteen was for the John Waylett Trophy for Pre65 up to 250cc machines and won by Harvey Yallop, son of his famous father so dominant in the Eastern centre in the seventies. Dave Holt completed a double by claiming second again ahead of Adrian Mays in third. Brian Edwards, one of the clubs founder members presented the Trophies for this event with again a fresh name on the winners Trophy.

With race incidents to a minimum the second half was completed ahead of schedule allowing the last four events to be increased to six laps. By this late stage riders were naturally delighted at this prospect but there was still a good line up for the last race of the day, open to anyone with sufficient energy remaining to compete.

A good turn out saw the track down and trailer loaded in the next hour when the smell of bbq’s over took that of the Castrol R. A great days sport enjoyed by most I believe in unusually amenable weather.

Fingers crossed for a repeat at the Dave Bickers Grand National on the 17th June.